Saturday, December 03, 2011

I survived my first sick baby. Survived but did not excel. It definitely revealed a few things to me that family medicine residency didn't prepare me for - putting lines in babies, reading newborn xrays, intubating babies, taking blood from babies. I praise the neonatal team for their mad skills and being so open to teach and having a skills day in the spring that they encouraged me to attend. I'll be there with bells on.

One of the most obvious things to me about almost not being a resident anymore is that the learning isn't going to stop and the learning curve is going to be very steep depending on where I end up. Biggest lesson learned: ask for help, don't be afraid to call the consultant back several times, stabilize stabilize stabilize and ship.

2 comments:

Liana said...

I think that if you recognized that the baby was sick and got it appropriate care, you excelled.

XE said...

Sounds like you did great!