Monday, March 31, 2014

wishing my life away

Most days I hope at least once during that day for:
1) the weekend to come faster
2) my patients not to show up
3) to be abducted by aliens away from my workplace

The other day my colleague and I were standing at the back door getting ready to leave on a Thursday and she commented that the next day was Friday and it's almost the weekend. I felt wistful and commented that I wish we didn't wish our lives away waiting for the next weekend to come around. I'm tired of wishing my life away. Does that mean I should change practices, careers, locations? I don't know. Maybe I just need to change my attitude.

1 comment:

Liana said...

Mmm. So over the weekend, I read a book called 10% Happier by Dan Harris. It's about meditation and mindfulness, which is something that I think all physicians would benefit from.

The book showed up on my Kindle recommendations a few days after I got an email from UBC (one of those "this changed my practice" pearls emails) that talked about compassion fatigue in medicine and how mindfulness might help.

I don't know, of course, whether maybe you really should be changing practices, careers or locations. But it's possible that something as simple as focusing on your breath for 5 minutes a day might help you figure that out?