Sunday, March 04, 2012

mistakes

People don't talk about making mistakes in our offices. So, we go home and they fester in our bellies. We try to reach out to a colleague only to have them tell us not to take on too much responsibility lest the patient interpret that as guilt and sue us. There is a good TedX presentation on this from Dr. Brian Goldman. I still haven't found someone to tell about my mistakes that understands. Maybe I should email Brian.

http://www.ted.com/talks/brian_goldman_doctors_make_mistakes_can_we_talk_about_that.html

1 comment:

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

I'm glad you wrote about this, because I think everyone in medicine feels somewhat alone and afraid because of the mistakes that we all inevitably make. I hope you find someone close to you that you can talk to who will be supportive and non-judgmental.