Sunday, May 05, 2013

Doctors are the worst patients

Why is it that I can't seem to take my own advice? I've been suffering through horrible back pain every time I ride my bike for about a year now. I remember that last year's 8 hour race turned into a 4 hour because my back hurt so much. Fast forward, this year's 8 hour is in a week, today's 3 hour ride had to be cut short at 2 hours because of... wait for it... cripple back pain! I really should have gone to a physiotherapist (which is what I would have told my patients) a year ago. Why didn't I go? I'm cheap. I have no coverage and physio is expensive. Yes, I can afford it but would prefer if the pain just went away on its own, but it hasn't, so tomorrow I'm calling for a physiotherapy assessment. A year of pain is enough I think! Hopefully I can get one organized pretty quickly and have it during my day off so I don't have to take any time away from work and cause patient and receptionist anger.

2 comments:

Liana said...

This is a very timely post. I threw out my back today. By the time we drove home, my back was completely in spasm and it took me 20 minutes to go from the car to the house.

I really need to see a physio too. This is the third time it's happened. Luckily I was able to give away my ob call shift tomorrow....

Milk and Two Sugars said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with you (other than that back injury!). We expect ourselves to be better than our patients in so many ways: more sensible, more accepting, stronger and hardier. It must be a part of the wall we build which makes it easier to do our jobs. In any case as you've now realised that it isn't improving despite your best efforts to give it time, I hope the physiotherapy helps a lot. Good luck.

(Good luck to you too Liana! I remember watching my mum throw her back out once when she sneezed. It's an awful situation to be in. I hope you're feeling better now too.)