Sunday, May 21, 2006

going home


Now... I have not lived with my parents for about 2 years. The summer between my third and fourth years of undergrad was the last time I co-habitated with them for more than a few days maybe a week over Christmas at the most. I am moving home next week for the summer. Med school is weird because it's what, for me, comes AFTER grad school. I did not go home and stay with my parents over the summer in grad school ( nevermind the fact that I was living in Scotland at the time, with my boyfriend ). So, this seems like a regression somehow. And it seems like it might be a difficult adjustment. Not just for me, but for the parental units as well. See, the problem is, I talk A LOT. I have always talked a lot and I have difficulty with silence. My parents on the other hand don't really talk a lot to each other. I mean, they do the usual hi how was your day stuff and they talk when there's something to talk about, but they don't babble on incessantly like I do. I am trying to work on this, but sometimes I slip up. I think those times are my parents' personal hell. They're always very glad to see me, bless their hears, but by 5 or 10 minutes into a visit they remember that their daughter is a loud mouth and start to go slightly green. By 20 minutes in to the visit they've just stopped answering when I speak. By 30 minutes in they're about ready for me to leave. I just can't help it, I like human interaction, I like to know what other people think about things. Meghan and I get along well because we both like to talk a lot. We have conversations. With my parents, all of my conversations are one sided. This is no fun. Once Ben comes atleast I'll have him to talk to and him to tell me when to shut up, but that's after a whole month and a half of being home alone with mom and dad. I think they might kill me.

Oh, and on another note. Exams are done, yay! I start my job a week yesterday. I had a meeting on Friday with my boss and chose my research project. I think it's going to be cool. A little bit of CT, a little bit of ophtho and a bit of biomechanics. Everything I like in the world of research. I really need to get on writing those two papers too. I have drafts I just need to put them in the correct formats for the publications I'm going to submit them to. Then hopefully they don't get flamed. I'm also going to Perth Ontario tomorrow to start my "week in the country". My time will be split between an internest and a family/emerg doc. I'm excited because I haven't tried internal or emerg on for size yet. You never know what could take my fancy!

No comments: