Thursday, June 01, 2006

Research

Well, here it is. Summer. Everyone gets excited about summer, me included. This summer I'm doing research at a University close to my parents house. I'm doing some work in imaging and ocular biomechanics, the field of research that my masters is in. Research is a funny thing. It sounds really exciting when you get your project and you're done exams and you're all ready to go, but by the second or third day, I always start to ask myself why I got myself into this. Why didn't I take a job as a waitress or a grass cutter or a camp counselor or something other than this. Here's why: I am sitting in my lab. The walls are a pee yellow color, there is no A/C and it's 33 degrees outside, the only window looks at a red brick wall, and the person sitting behind me isn't wearing deodorant. Add to that the fact that I'm manually segmenting 300 MRI images of an eyeball and I have 36 more to go... and this is going to be every day for the next 3 months. I'm not nearly being paid enough.

In good news, I'm going to see David Francey tonight! I have only heard recordings of his music, never seen him live and I'm SO stoked. He's an amazing folk singer who's currently lives in Lanark county but he's originally from Scotland and grew up in Toronto. His website is http://www.davidfrancey.com . He's playing tonight at the Edward Day Gallery in Toronto and also in Toronto some time in July. I believe the 24th. You should all come out and see him. This is him in his youth (age 18):


And this is him now:

1 comment:

Nathan said...

So how was the concert? I'm from the shores of The Lakes as well, the pics from that site bring back memories of home.