Monday, June 17, 2013

The Real Test

This weekend I went to Lake Placid/Wilmington NY and participated in the Wilmington 100 mountain bike race. It was the most amazing race experience I've ever had. It wasn't because of the race itself, it was because of the people. I think I almost cried 3 or 4 times due to the inspirational speeches that were made at the pre-race meeting. I had the amazing privilege to ride and chat with Rebecca Rusch ( my new girl crush - she's kicking ass and taking names in her 40s setting endurance records and she is SO genuine and nice it's unbelievable) at the pre-ride.


The founder of Leadville, Kennith Chlouber and his wife were there and he gave a similar speech with her to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9N_YT-kIaI . I remembered it during the entire race and it pushed me to go further than I thought I could, faster than I thought I could, and push through the killer leg cramps that were so bad I could hardly get back on my bike after pushing it up a loose climb, but I did. I was better than I thought was. I did more than I thought I could. The high of finishing 1 minute under my 6 hour and 30 minute goal was great. I only hope to get faster next year (and maybe train a bit more for endurance - I think 2 endurance rides probably weren't enough). 

The other inspiring thing was the number of amputees there were who raced hard and fast. It was awesome and amazing.

110 km and 7,641 feet of climbing. I wasn't first. I wasn't last but I did it. 

No comments: