Tuesday, October 10, 2006

On Turning 25....

I turned 25 yesterday. I didn't think it would be a big deal until yesterday. When I said "you're 25" to myself, I suddenly started using other 25 year olds I know as a yardstick...
- I am not married (my parents and my brother were both married by 25)
- I have not got a real job (all of my friends have real jobs)
- I can't support myself (see above)
- many other stupid things I was thinking

The hardest thing for me was thinking that next year I would be 26. 26 seems really old to me. It's considered "late twenties". I swear I'm 18 years old.

Thankfully I do have a few things going for me:
- A wonderful boyfriend
- In training for a career I'm going to love
- Parents to pay my way through med school who love me
- Great brother and sister and inlaws
- <5 wrinkles
- a nice booty :)

So, now I'm off to my birthday party and I hope my birthday blues don't come back. I'm going to try and refrain from drinking too much sake...

6 comments:

Nathan said...

Hey, Happy Birthday!

Don't get too down. I'm a year older than you are, and I'm in the same boat. Except for the significant other part. :) You've got lots to be happy about.

Amy said...

Don't tell me late twenties starts at 26. I was thinking 28... 20-22 = early, 23-27 mid, 28-29 late. I need another year of mid twenties. I have a lot I want to do before I'm 30 and thinking that I'm still in my mid 20s makes it seem more plausable. And in racing I'll be 30 a full 4 months before I'm actually 30. So my time is slightly shortened. Gaaa 30! now that's a scary thought.

And happy birthday even though I know you don't really like people making a fuss I hope you had a great party.

medstudentitis said...

Nathan - good to know you have a nice booty too, and thanks for the happy birthday :)

Amers - I think I'll take your thinking to heart... 28=late twenties.. but then when we get to 28 it'll be depressing again! I'm going to start counting backwards... next year 24!

Fat Doctor said...

I had a midlife crisis at 25. Seriously. I couldn't visualize myself getting past 50, so I just decided to get it over with. Here's the truth: It's all uphill from 25 -- my top ten favorite memories all happened in the last 13 years (I'm 38). You are just a sprout. Be happy to be where you are at 25. I was lost in nowhereland. Happy birthday, dang it!

origin said...

Happy birthday! (A little late.)

If you think 25 is bad, wait until you hit 45 and can say all those things - sheesh!

dr. whoo? said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Take it from someone who is just past 30, 25 is such a wonderful age. I feel perpetually 25. It was my own personal "golden age!" I hope that you had just a little too much sake, and the best is yet to come!