Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The outcome

Ok,
So I actually sat through the entire 8 hours of the domestic violence workshop. Believe me, all of us who stayed deserve a medal. Take everything I mentioned yesterday, add a stupid lecture in which they defined "interprofessional", "interprofessional teams", "teams", etc. ad nauseum for 45 minutes and a lame lunchtime activity. The lunchtime interprofessional activity involved not having enough sandwhiches to go around and discussing cases for which we had to answer questions in "interdisciplinary groups" that were aimed to elicit responses of how great things are in the hospital when people act as a team (duh!). It was truly mind numbing. The only two good sessions of the whole day were the talk from a police officer on police roles in domestic violence and the talk from a woman who works at interval house - our local women's shelter. Everything that was useful from the day could be summed up in approximately 30 minutes of material. Sometimes I really hate med school!

3 comments:

Nathan said...

I know what you mean. All the lectures and sessions I had on child abuse didn't prepare me for walking into the ER while I was on peds and seeing a two year old who was at about the 40th %ile for weight, covered in flea bites, who had been brought in by the police when he was discovered during an eviction. Mom was catatonic, and probably severely mentally ill, and the father was nowhere to be found. I haven't yet met an adult victim of domestic vioence, but I'm sure if I do, like with child abuse, it will be an experience I have to process on my own. Maybe no medical school is good at training for those situations. Maybe they can't be.

Anonymous said...

See, now this is what I can't digest. Why are all these school shootings in school where the only victims are innocent defenseless people? Why don't more medical students go wacko and let rip with an AK-47, especially with the frequency with which these utter-waste-of-time seminars are held?

I feel your pain. So much, in fact, that I'm adding you to my blogroll. I hope you don't mind the header I use to describe us med students.

Anonymous said...

Hear hear.

And Gah!!

My theory is, it's the admin's way of giving us a break from exhausting clinical work, by having something we can sit (read: sleep) through, occasionally.

Because that's what I use 'em for, anyhow.