Monday, November 27, 2006

OSCE


So, it's coming to the end of the semester and that means it's time for our OSCE. For those of you not in the know, it stands for Objective Structured Clinical Examination. Basically you go through a number of timed stations, each of which consists of a clinical scenario for which you must do a history or a physical exam.

For example: Ted is a 47 year old man who has come in with a complaint of melena. Do a focused physical exam. You will be asked a question at the 5 minute mark.

At this station you would be expected to do an abdominal exam and then a DRE. The examiner has things on a checklist that you get points for doing i.e. light palpation of the abdomen. It's great because every time you do something right you can hear them checking it off - it's a boost of confidence. Unless, of course, you do 5 things and don't head any check marks being made! It is totally artificial and isn't like being with a real patient at all, but it does test your ability to remember which tests to do for what scenario.

I have my OSCE for this semester tomorrow. I'm scared. Mostly because this semester we have had little time to practice our histories and physicals and have instead been focused more on findings, special skills etc. I have to go over my upper and lower back pain exams today and make sure I don't forget something important. I need to remember to FIFE the heck out of people on my history (function, ideas, feelings, expectations) and I need to go over my relevant review of systems because I keep forgetting which questions relate to which clinical scenarios i.e. seronegative arthropathy questions (SOAP BRAIN MD anyone?).

Then I have 2 weeks to study for exams. I started studying a while ago but have sort of lulled myself into a false sense of security and been going pretty slowly. I need to step it up now. 2 weeks to go through a week of notes a day for a total of 13 weeks. I've read the entire textbook but need to start filling in the blanks and reminding myself of what I do and don't know.

MCQ on the 13th, Short answer on the 14th and Practical on the 15th and then I'm FREE for Christmas. I'm excited.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Good luck tomorrow PKK!!!! You'll rock it. You always do.

Anonymous said...

Pssst... you know I love you K, but SLE isn't a seronegative arthropathy...

:)

medstudentitis said...

hah, that might be why I failed the exam andy. Looks like I'm not going into rheumatology!

Anonymous said...

More space for meeeee! bwhahahahaha