Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Why Med Students are Human

Lately I've been having trouble with three things:
1) Wine
2) Cupcakes/Candy
3) Going to the gym

Wine for me is greatly connected to time spent with friends/family having fun and being care-free. My family loves wine and loves to discuss wine and go on wine tasting/buying trips. I don't drink very often (maybe 2/3 times a month) and if I go out to a restaurant I only ever have one glass. The problem for me is when there's a whole bottle just sitting there. I drink wine like it's water - I tell myself that I should alternate between wine and water because I'm just drinking wine because I'm thirsty, but I never do. Wine also exacerbates my stomach problems. Alcohol is also not great for weight loss/maintenance (see items 2 and 3) so part of my new commitment to personal health and fitness is cutting down. Wish me luck.

Recently I was at a baby shower where there was far too much wine and far too many cupcakes. I managed to limit myself to one cupcake while there, but dammit, my Mum sent me home with 6 leftover ones! If something is there, I will eat it (or drink it). I tell myself that once they're gone, they're gone, but somthing else always seems to come along i.e. leftover halloween candy. I need to develop more willpower. No more cupcakes. Dammit.

Last but not least, the gym. I always have grand plans to make it to the gym 3 times a week. I usually make it twice. Although I ride my bike to and from school every day it's not enough exercise and I'm not liking what's happenening to my body. With exams coming up I have a hard time seeing myself keeping up with my work-out routine. I need to find something else to do that doesn't involve travelling. The upside is that my gym is in the grocery store so I can't very well go buy groceries without commiting to a workout. Unfortunately, sometimes I just choose to go for a week eating frozen food and everything in cans from my pantry and stealing my roommate's milk instead of going shopping. I guess overall laziness might be more my problem.

So, I guess it all comes down to me needing to get off my growing ass and take care of myself. How come it's always easier to sit here and worry about failing neurology?

1 comment:

Amy said...

There was a girl at my old gym who was in med school. She'd read her text books, notes, journal articles, you name it, while elipticalling away. I don't know how she did it. I did all my reading at the nude beach. It was the closest beach to my office and really, you didn't want to take you eyes of the paper so it was very conducive to reading. As for wine, I don't think I could give it up. I don't really drink anything else other than water, tea, and wine.