Monday, December 10, 2007

Introduction to clerkship

So, even though I'm finished exams, I'm not done school. I still have a week of "introduction to clerkship" before my Christmas holidays. Today was day 1. When I told Ben about it he said it was somewhat like putting a bunch of soldiers in the room and telling them how great fighting a war would be with tanks and guns and armour and then sending them into the battlefield with wooden sticks. We had a talk on how bad sleep deprivation is and how 18 hours of working without sleep makes a person the equivalent of a legally impaired drunk driver. However, we are still asked to do 28 hour shifts on weekdays and 2 24 hour shifts on weekends. We have talks telling us how important it is to eat healthily when on call, but then they tell us that the cafeteria and cafe are closed in the evenings so the only option other than packing a lunch at 5 in the morning to get to the hospital in time for rounds is to order take out. We are told that family, spouses and loved ones should be priorities, however, clerkship is a 16 month study period for the board exams and we should be studying every night as well as sleeping 8 hours - try fitting family in there.

If all of these things are so damn important, why aren't they accommodated for. And, if they're not important enough to schedule around, why do we get lectures telling us how important they are. I can't work miracles and sleep 8 hours a day if I'm on call for 30. For god's sakes, stop confusing me.

7 comments:

Calavera said...

Oh dear! Sounds pretty hardcore... Glad I'm not in your shoes... (just yet, anyway.)

Nathan said...

A lot about medicine is hypocrisy. We destroy our health for the sake of others. At least you're headed to a specialty where you don't have to do it forever.

Anonymous said...

Man, they should just let you go and enjoy christmas (my school is doing a similar thing next week after fridays exam...)

Yeah on eating healthily, my diet has gone down the pan since moving into halls. I dread to think what it will be like when I'm working. I do not bode well without sleep...

Milk and Two Sugars said...

Beaurocrats. Bah!

On the healthy-food score, my gospel is leftovers. Cook once, eat twice (or thrice). Be the envy of all your friends!

I trust they pay you decently for all your work?

FooFoo5 said...

Apparently you missed the part where they tell you it "builds character." Or was it "provide free labor?" I always confuse the two.

Anonymous said...

congrats on finishing exams!

and looking forward to watching you making the impossible possible over the next 16 months. :))

ditzydoctor said...

agreed. as students - i am told to stop studying and have a life while i can and yet am screwed for every little thing i don't know. if there ever was a hypocritical field, medicine wins hands down! all the best :)