Tuesday, January 22, 2008

obstetrics

At the end of last week I switched over to my obstetrics rotation. I'm out in the community at a smaller regional hospital than the tertiary care center associated with my school. Boy, it's a bit of a culture shock. When we were at our home hospital we were told where we were to be every day and we had a resident we sent our time with. Here there are no residents, and there is no schedule. I'm on 1 in 3 24-hour call (sometimes 1 in 2 because there is a family medicine resident who is sharing call but doesn't "do" weekend call) and then I have a post-call day and then I have this day of nothing which I'm supposed to fill by myself with clinics or OR or other things. It's totally been left up to us to fill it with no guidance. It sucks. I feel like we're getting a bum rap from everyone else who gets to just show up to what they are assigned and don't have to worry about getting turned away. It's really frustrating. Tomorrow is my day when I have to arrange things myself. So far I have a colpo clinic arrange for tomorrow.

I have more to say about the experience but I'm going to save it for a day when I'm not post-call. It makes me a bit grumpy.

No comments: