Thursday, November 05, 2009

Oh my god, M and 2S hit it right on the head - so many COPD exacerbations and swine flus my first day (Tuesday). We were there from 7 am to 7 pm to get through all the consults in the ER. One very sad case, which lead to a woman with an exacerbation of COPD/heart failure being tubed in the ICU. We started the DNR conversation, but she wasn't ready and now she's vented and I'm not sure anyone will every know her wishes. Hopefully she talked them over with her husband.

In addition, one of our employees of the hospital has been admitted to ICU with swine flu. We're all a little freaked.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Meds:
Sad about the COPD/CHF patient. Would it have made a difference if she had been immunized (do you think)...

i don't remember the mechanisms of COPD/CHF but all I remember is lasix. lots and lots of laxis.

Milk and Two Sugars said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about both your patient and your colleague. Similar things have happened here (I suppose everywhere); it can be such a brutal illness. Yet there have been remarkable recoveries as well as demises. I hope they both pull through.