Tuesday, September 12, 2006

September 12th

So,
I didn't put up a post on my blog discussing September 11th and the anniversary of the world trade center attacks. Primarily, because I didn't have much to add. I didn't even know anything had happened on September 11th until September 12th because I was camping. Yes, the events were tragic and I feel for those who were directly affected by the tragedy. I was proud that many Canadians pitched in and helped out stranded Americans and other travelers who were grounded. But, many other people have much more meaningful things to say about this event. What I want to say in this post is a little bit about yesterday.

I happened to watch a few American network television shows yesterday (surprise surprise) and there was something I was really struck by. There were lots of people talking on TV about how afraid they are. Afraid that a terrorist is going to kill them. Afraid that they will be part of the next September 11th. I heard more than one person repeat the sentiment that it was not "if" but "when" the next attack is going to happen. I think it's perhaps an even bigger tragedy than the September 11th attacks itself that these people live in constant fear for their lives.

It's this kind of fear that gives certain people a lot of power, like those in charge of governments. It's the kind of fear that blurs lines of civil rights. There was a show on TLC the other day about balancing security and liberty, unfortunately I missed it. If anyone saw it I would be interested to hear what they thought of it.

Anyways, if we lived in fear every day of dying in all the many ways we can possibly die, we'd be paralyzed into staying in bed - although I'm sure there's a way in which your bed could kill you too (think morbid obesity). Carpe Diem folks, carpe diem.

1 comment:

Smalltown RN said...

Interesting comment, and you know there is some truth to that. We can't go on living our lives as if something is going to happen. Of course it is going to happen that is what "Living" is all about. You are right if we continue to fear the "what if's" they will continue to have control over us. Go on with our every day lives and give them no power.

By the way I found you through Fat doctors blog...

Where in Canada are u studying medicine? I live on Vancouver Island. Move there about 2 years ago....I grew up in Vancouver, great city...but the Island is gorgeous.

When you get a chance drop by my blog and say hello.....I'll be keeping a watch for you....cheers....