Thursday, February 08, 2007

Just when things were looking down

Just when you think you'll never like medical school again, some brilliant clinical teaching comes along and makes you fall in love all over again. Today we had some absolutely great cardiology teaching where one of the cardiologists had 5 of his patients come in and we went around and listened to their findings. I heard aortic stenosis, aortic regurgitation, mitral regurgitation, a mid-systolic click, carotid bruits and it was all great. I love it when you hear/see teaching in action. All of the people were super nice and willing to just lay back and relax while we listened until we heard what we were supposed to, no pressure. The doc who taught it was also really nice, he made jokes and asked questions and let us ask whatever we wanted without making us feel dumb. I think that for 1st and 2nd year medical students, it's important for us to be able to ask questions about dumb things without feeling chastised or ridiculed, save that for clerkship!

All in all, I felt like it wasn't a waste of time, unlike a lot of our didactic teaching time. Yay cardiologist. Although, I still don't want to do internal!

2 comments:

Calavera said...

That sounds really productive. Recently I've been chasing the docs at the hospital to do the same for me. They end up finding a patient on their list, telling me to go and listen to their heart/lungs/whatever, and then report my findings to them.

It's really useful, and the more you do it, the better a clinician you will become.

Nathan said...

You don't want to do internal?! Why ever not? The most complicated patients, the most mental exercise, and heck, if you like teaching, we easily have the longest rounds.

Wait, maybe that's not a good thing :)

Seriously though, to each their own. I wouldn't be at home anywhere else (I say, before starting my internship) and I wouldn't wish unhappiness on anyone else. This job is going to take three fourths or more of your life from now on, you might as well enjoy it.