Thursday, November 20, 2008

I just got back from my third dental appointment - cleaning and scaling. They froze me for it because I'm a giant wuss and I hate dental work. Now I can't feel the left side of my nose, mouth or tongue. It's an odd feeling. Why does it feel like my face is swollen 3 times its normal size? It's like I've been in a bar brawl. In good news, it didn't hurt except for my middle tooth on the bottom which wasn't covered by the block. All in all a very positive experience. Take that dentist phobia!

5 comments:

Milk and Two Sugars said...

Fantastic! Hooray for good dentists! My old dentist used to go outside and smoke with my mum before she worked on my teeth. I never had any respect for her because of that!

I wonder which branches of the trigeminal nerve your dentist blocked? My cranial neuroanatomy is totally not up to scratch to be able to answer that without referring to the textbooks.

medstudentitis said...

On the top they did a local all the way along the gumline. On the bottom they did one block behind the last molar. It was probably an inferior alveolar nerve?

XE said...

Sounds like we both spent lots of today in the dreaded chair. I have two more appointments...

I'm really glad to hear that they were so accepting of accomodating the dental phobia. Mine was too, but I was a little afraid that they would be secretly making fun of me behind my back or something for being the biggest scaredy-cat patient of all time.

XE said...

(They actually got me to explain the origin of my phobia, and were all empathetic and everything, is that weird? I think I'm overanalyzing now.)

medstudentitis said...

They asked me why I was phobic too and I had to explain that I had braces young and an adult tooth pulled out and I find the dentist REALLY REALLY painful. Sob story.