Friday, April 06, 2007

Burn out

The problem with cramming is that you get to day 7 or day 8 or day whatever (I'm not sure how long this has been going on) of studying 13 hours a day and then you just lose your drive. I'm sitting here with lots to do and just meh. I think I probably need a break - which comes in the form of me driving home to my parents house tomorrow night to spend Easter morning/lunch with my family and dear darling boyfriend. I'm a bit freaked out about that because it means that I'll lose a lot of valuable study time. But, as I said, it's probably good for me. It means, however, that I should be studying right now to get in a good position to meet my study goals for tomorrow... So that means I should stop blogging and get back to work!

Ta

4 comments:

Midwife with a Knife said...

Studying for Step 1? I found that that was the hardest to study for. All the biochem had me kind of freaked out. The test itself wasn't that bad.

There is a limit to how much cramming you can do.

XE said...

Good luck with your studying! A break will no doubt help.
13 hours a day? How do you do it? I'm having a really hard time studying 8 hours a day (I can usually get in 6 or 7 before I absolutely can't think anymore), so if you have any tips for marathon studying, my ears are open! :) Off to study...

resident mama said...

When I studied for Level 1 (Step 1) I found it best to designate hours ahead of time to study, like a job that you will work 9-5 or 10-4 in my case. Then I let myself relax in the evenings, and felt ready to hit the books again the next day and get some quality studying in.
Good luck!!

medstudentitis said...

Forunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, the Candian system works better and we don't have an equivalent of step 1. We write our first board exam in 4th year after we finish clerkship and before starting residency. I am currently studying for my second year med school exams which cover everything we've done since January: renal, resp and cardio.