Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Vacation


Sometimes, like today for example, I wish I'd taken a week off work before school starts. But, I can't afford it. The extra 500 dollars far outweighs any benefit I'll get from a week of sleeping, going to the gym, and watching telly. I've almost reached my summer savings goal and might be able to survive through the next year without starving or not being able to do anything fun. The only concern I have is how I'm going to pay for my trip to Vancouver for my (I hope) dermatology elective/Amy's wedding. I'm sure I'll figure something out though and my grandparents are always willing to help me out a bit. Starting next year I'll be getting my clerkship stipend, which should help after a summer of not working to pay the bills.


In other news, I found out the other day that I get to participate in the family medicine clinical skills program at my school. This means that instead of going to the hospital once a week for internal medicine clinical skills, I'll be going to my preceptor's family practice and learning from him for an afternoon a week! I'm so stoked about this. After my fantastic experience earlier this year with a small town family doc, I'm super excited to get more family medicine exposure and hopefully learn lots of things that will help me in my future practice. The doc I'm paired up with seems quite cool so far, although I've only "met" him through email. I'm hopeful that this is going to be a super experience and make the first 6 months of my year more interesting and applicable to family med.


I can't really come to terms with the fact that I'll be back in school 2 weeks from now. I'm in total summer job/holiday mode. I guess it will all sink in when I have to go sit in good old B143 on September 4th.

4 comments:

XE said...

That clinical skills placement sounds awesome! Congrats!

Time off always sounds nice, but it actually gets really boring after a day or two (or so I find anyway).

Anonymous said...

I hardly managed to get any work this summer :( sitting around for 3 months has it's drawbacks.

I did manage not to spend much at all though! (you can imagine how bored I must have been by being cheap) Well done to you for saving so well!

Calavera said...

Congratulations on your clinical skills placement! It sounds great!

I, too, cannot believe that I have to go back to school soon... Apart from the school supply shopping, there is absolutely nothing to look forward to... :(

I'm totally stuck in holiday mode.

Couz said...

Ah, B143. I remember it well.

Enjoy summers while they last. Being a grown-up sucks.