Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cooking day




So, today I decided to make the ultimate veggie burger from Fresh Restaurant in Toronto. Recipe found here.

This is one of those recipes that I hate because you need to go to the store and buy a bunch of stuff you may never use again in another recipe. And then you have to go to another store because your grocery store doesn't stock millet. Thankfully my grocery store (Fresh co. formerly known as Price Chopper) has a very large ethnic section so did have tamarind paste.

If I was making it again I would:
1) put the tamarind in when I whiz the carrots, tofu etc. in the food processor
2) make it as a loaf - it tastes and has the texture of an awesome meatloaf more than a burger
3) add an egg white. I'm not a vegan and I think it would bind it a lot better
4) adjust the quantities - I doubled the recipe and ended up with 16 burgers

What I did:
cooked 3 today for dinner and lunch tomorrow and froze the rest on baking sheets in the freezer. I then cooked one from frozen for Ben's lunch tomorrow and it stayed together better when cooking from frozen.

No comments: