Thursday, July 14, 2011

directionless

Is anyone else in the world utterly clueless when it comes to a sense of direction? I have managed to get lost twice in the last week, once mountain biking and once driving. Well, I guess 3 times because I got lost on my way to mountain biking too.

I just have no sense of which was is north/south/east/west and my best way of finding where i'm going is to go the wrong way and then try to find my way out of it. I can read a map, but starting off always needs a sense of which direction the map directions correspond to.

Was I born without some internal compass?

4 comments:

XE said...

I'm exactly the same. I get lost so so often!

Anonymous said...

and you know, in some cultures, their sense of internal compass is so well refined that they have no need for adjectives to describe location - like "behind, next to, beside".

They just say "james is standing west of the tree", "sally is to your north"

medstudentitis said...

I'm not sure that that makes me feel any better, I'd never know where James or Sally were.

Milk and Two Sugars said...

I grew up thinking the sun rose in the east (okay, it did) but that the point on the compass 90 degrees anti-clockwise of that was south, because that was where I could see the ocean and on maps of Australia, the ocean was south of South Australia. To this day I can't shake the feeling that I'm facing south when I'm in fact facing north-west. You are not alone :)