Saturday, March 24, 2007

Med School Interviews

I had a great day today interviewing prospective medical students for my university. I saw 6 people during the day and each one of them brought something unique to the experience. The interviewee performances ranged from fabulous to awful (I won't give numbers in case someone who interviewed is reading this and crapping their pants) and the doctor I interviewed with was hilarious. I kind of knew him before through his wife, but getting to know him today was awsome. He refers to himself as an "old-timer" because he recently retired and he had a really unique perspective on clinical medicine. He favoured applicants who had no idea what they wanted to go into (specialty-wise) and asked people tough questions about medical resource allocation. He gave people encouragement when they answered a question really well, and he agreed with me about most things which obviously makes him a very smart man :)

I'm sorry that this will be my last opportunity to participate in the interview process... until I'm one day a faculty member I guess (which I may never be). It was really good to have a hand in the shaping of the next generation of med students.

I'm also kind of glad it's over because by the end of the day I had the worst headache known to man. It was so bad I actually feel like my eye is bruised, it's tender to the touch and hurts to close it, in addition to my pounding head. I feel like I should have had a really good time last night (instead of studying at home) to deserve it.

1 comment:

Calavera said...

Ouch - take drugs! Codeine! Paracetamol, anything!

I hope that you were a nice interviewer!!