Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Emotional day

Ever have one of those days when everything seems to have a tarnished lining and the smallest thing can set you off into a spiral of sadness? That's me today. This morning I found out that a relative, who has recurrent UTIs due to urine stasis due to progressive BPH, isn't feeling any better after being put on tamsulosen therapy and antibiotics. He is, infact, feeling worse and having syncopal episodes and has occasional hematuria. Apparently tamsulosen is not supposed to produce syncope as much as other alpha 1 receptor blockers, but, nevertheless, it is. I am telling him to badger the urologist for another appointment soon possibly to try finasteride although the fact that it can take months to start working is worrisome. It's funny how the people around someone every day (in this case his wife) just know when something's not right by a person's smell, demeanor and energy level. I also told him to consult his family doctor because I'm worried about what's happening with him right now. He discontinued the tamsulosen on his own two days ago. Anybody have any other ideas?

Ben is leaving to go back to Scotland for week on Saturday. Today in the office the song "Leaving on a jet plane" was playing on the radio and I almost cried. You may think that a week is nothing, but either of us leaving on an airplane reminds me of the long spells that we've spent apart and all those episodes of leaving. There's always that thought in the back of my head that one day we may have to do the long distance thing again while I qualify to move to Scotland and practice. I would be willing to do that for a couple of years, but I have no idea what it would take in terms of training.

I also had a dream last night that I was pregnant and woke up to realize I had my period. Weird.

I'm gonna go get some chocolate.

No comments: