Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Babies!


I got to scrub today for a c-section, it was so fun. It was my first scrubbing experience (usually us junior med students stand in the back and try to get a good view) and I'm not sure the senior resident was super happy that I scrubbed, but my preceptor was very encouraging and the junior resident didn't seem to mind. I retracted the bladder, retracted the skin while the sutures were being put in the fascia, and helped clean her up afterwards and transfer her. The baby was beatiful and wailing and the couple was amazing. I was also amazed at how good the spinal was - the last section I saw was more emergent and the anesthetic wasn't as fantastic. The whole thing was a great experience. I've always thought about doing obs/gyn but have decided against it for lifestyle reasons and based on geography of where I want to live. It IS fun though! I also got to see a beautiful coneheaded girl/boy (couldn't see very well) being born by vacuum. The mom had been having a hard time at it and was in a lot of pain but boy did she ever push that baby out fast especially since it was occipito-posterior (of course she did have the aid of the vacuum suction). All in all it was a pretty fun day. Now back to the books!

2 comments:

XE said...

Awesome! I can't wait to spend some time in L&D!

Midwife with a Knife said...

Aw, come on over to the dark side, you know you'll love it. *evil laugh*