Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Progress

Well, I had my interview at the temp agency yesterday for temporary work as a medical secretary. It went really well. I discovered a few things about myself: I can type at 88 words per minute, I can make a really nice looking business letter in a test situation if I put my mind to it, and having learned microsoft access that one summer in high school may pay off.

Today I'm back to my lazy life so I'm helping Ben with some work. My autocad skills are coming in handy as I finish a drawing for him and then get on his nerves when I tell him he didn't dimension it properly. Sometimes I think being a perfectionist is a bad thing, but then people do really appreciate a job done right, don't they? In my undergraduate engineering degree we had some professors who were really picky about how drawings are done and scaled and stuff and now I have carried that pickiness with me. I still do want to smack myself when I say things like "Well, it's just not worth doing if you're not going to do it right!". I'm sure Ben wants to smack me too. It's just that I'm a fiddler. I can fiddle with something for hours to make it look right. Ben is not that kind of person. He gets inspired and then wants to do something fast and get it done. Together we make a good team.

Hopefully the temp agency calls me soon to go do a job. I think it's going to be a challenge but exciting at the same time. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Midwife with a Knife
has tagged me with 5 reasons I blog so here goes:

1) My parents, boyfriend, siblings and friends are tired of hearing me moan about how I failed my exams, don't get enough time to do yoga (although time is busting out of my ears right now) am sick and tired of classrooms, have crappy teachers, etc. So I dump it all here for you wonderful people to read. And then you probably get tired of it and stop reading, which is OK. Basically, it's a place to vent.

2) There are friends I have who I don't speak to very often because we're busy people but some of them read my blog to catch up on my life and post encouragement or what they're doing with theirs. I like that. I'm not always the greatest friend, but I hope they know that I appreciate that they're reading and I hope we can get together soon (I'm home for the summer, email me!)

3) Sometimes I need to rant about societal or political issues or things that are important to me like riding my bike. I think other people should hear my opinion on these things (don't ask me why) so I post them here. I'm a participating member of the global community.

4) Meeting all these gosh darn nice people from around the world. Blog buddies are awsome. I read up on them and support them and they read up on me and support me. Maybe we don't know each other in person and never will have the chance to meet, but that doesn't matter to me. It's nice to know there are other people out there having the same experiences that I have and that they're surviving. In the spirit of fairness I feel like I should share my experiences to help other people feel less lonely.

5) I like to flex my writing muscles sometimes. I don't keep a diary so maybe this is my way of keeping track of the things that have happened in my life. Maybe one day I'll look back and think about how silly I was back then or remember how hard it is to be a medical student and remember to be nicer to any med students I might encounter. Who knows.

I tag: tea at ten, cal over at short white coats Liana over at Med Valley High, and Nathan.

And finally, go check out Grand Rounds at Med Valley High, Liana has done a great job!

5 comments:

Calavera said...

Wow, I've been tagged! Yippee! I'll be doing this as soon as I get home tonight.

Well done on the job hunting! 88wpm is pretty darn awesome - plus you know all the medical terminology already so you'll find it a breeze!

I'm trying to look for the same job at the moment on this side of the pond - it's not going too well! They all want previous experience, which I don't have, though I keep stressing how versatile and quick-to-learn I am.

Aah well. We shall see what happens.

Plus, I love reasons 3, 4 and 5 for blogging. You're right, blog buddies are truly awesome!

Ms-Ellisa said...

I love your reasons...

Midwife with a Knife said...

Yay! Nice job. And blog buddies rock!

Dr. Deb said...

I think blogging is so therapeutic. Tags and memes are a nice way to get to know a blogger.

Calavera said...

Just re-reading your entry... as I say, you're so lucky to have been so successful with the job-hunting so far...

It's going cra on this side of the pond...