Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Drugs like Candy


I don't usually spend my food money on magazines, thus I usually only pick up a "women's" magazine once a year when Santa brings me one in my stocking. This year's mag was "Jane", a publication that I usually find harmless and sometimes humorous. This year's January issue, however, had something very disturbing in it. There was an article called "Herbal tea is for weenies" in which a "journalist" compares herbal remedies with pharmacotherapy for "stress".

I was flabbergasted to know that this person managed to get prescriptions for xanax, klonopin and a beta blocker for the sole purpose of writing a magazine article. Furthermore, the "stressful" situations this author was put in were all things that were part of their job, i.e. interviewing celebrities or part of every day life i.e. visiting a friend in prison. I have an idea, if you're SO stressed out by being a journalist; why not just quit your freaking job? Not only did this person consume all of these drugs but they also gave a few of their beta blockers to a friend... it's always a good idea to share your prescription drugs... not.

Even the premise for the article is stupid. People who take herbal supplements by in large are not taking them because they think they're going to work the same way as a valium does. Lots of people take herbals because they don't want to consume or don't think their stress is bad enough to need drugs. Who in their right mind needs a comparison between an aromatherapy arm patch and klonopin done by a journalist to know that the klonopin might give you a stronger effect?

And yes, lets remember, these are drugs. Controlled substances, for which you need a prescription. They're not something to be taken lightly. The article makes light of popping pills for every normal daily stressful event and encourages people to borrow drugs from friends. I found the whole thing disgusting.

4 comments:

Amy said...

the mind boggles at the things that are published in these magazines. Maybe that's why I've switched to House and Home and Fine Food. Even the triathlon mags can publish the sketchiest stuff!

Tiny Shrink said...

Isn't giving prescription drugs to someone without a prescription illegal? Especially something like a beta blocker, which could have been harmful??? That journalist ought to be in trouble!

Nathan said...

Sounds like that journalist might benefit from some Seroquel.

Calavera said...

Oh my goodness. You're totally right, of course. But giving your beta-blocker to a friend? Who the hell wrote this article, and what the hell is wrong with her?

So warped and weird...

haha, i was gonna try and end my comment with a suggestion of what the journalist needs, but I see that my idea has already been done by nathan above!! Damnit!

Though I would have suggested Clozapine... (may be called something different in Canada!)