Friday, January 19, 2007

Yoohoo, Douglas Coupland ... your book sucks!


Dear Douglas Coupland,
What were you thinking when you wrote this book? Did you think that if you wrote another Microserfs, nobody would notice? Are you John Grisham? Maybe it's all a money making scheme, put out a new book assuming all those who liked 'serfs will buy it, who cares if they like it once you get your cheque.

What's up with putting yourself in this book as an asshole. I loved Microserfs but this book is driving me nuts. Too much computer code, too many pages wasted to junk and 100 000 digits of pi. At least the side story in Microserfs was about Jed and Daniel's subconscious world. Did you run out of ideas for novels? The characters are likeable and interesting but all the other crap takes away from the ability to develop them fully.

I'm going to read the last 50 pages but I don't think they can possibly make up for the load of suck so far. I'm going to have to go back and read Microserfs again to make up for this travesty.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

So, Medstudentitis, tell us how you really feel. :)

I'm getting a picture of this book like Gravity's Rainbox, with whole pages of mathematical forumlae. No, thanks. I'll stick to my Victorian era adventures.

The Angry Medic said...

*overzealous French soldier accent*

What? Who darres to plagiarrise ze grreat Grisham's books? Bastairrds!

I'm with Nathan on this one, mate. I'm sticking to the real deal.

Nathan said...

And evidently I can't spell. It's Gravity's Rainbow, by Thomas Pynchon, should anyone wish to torture themselves.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the tv show? It's painful to watch. I've never read any of his books because the whole Generation X thing sounded tiresome, but my brother gave me this tv show I guess because I'm a computer programmer. Thanks for nothing, bro. Regift.

Anonymous said...

Microserfs was ironic in that I was wasting my life reading about people wasting their lives in Silicon Valley. I hated it and I hate Douglas Coupland for those hours I'll never get back.