Friday, May 18, 2007

Fear

If there's one word that can strike fear into my heart it's CLERKSHIP. I will be starting clerkship next year. For those of you who don't know, clerkship is when medical students start actually working in the hospital full time. Essentially the lectures are over and the real learning begins. Clerkship is the new thing that keeps me up at night.

Having recently got my schedule for clerkship, things are becoming a lot more real to me. Fortunately, I almost got the schedule I wanted. Unfortunately, my school has a policy where one can switch their family medicine block with electives, meaning that everyone in the class put family medicine in their top 5 rotations***. This switch really disadvantages people who want to actually do family medicine. I have family medicine in the very last block, after CaRMS (Canadian Residency Matching Service). This means that when I apply for residency I will not have completed my family medicine core rotation. I wonder if this will look bad to residency program directors when I'm applying to do family medicine. Most of them probably understand that it's the luck of the draw, but what if they don't. I know that family medicine isn't very competitive but the programs I'm looking at are extremely small and I want to get the one I want! CaRMS is the point of no return - you have to take whatever position you match to, so I want it to be a good one!

Right now I'm trying to plan electives in order to show my interest in family medicine but also my diversity as a student and my other interests. So far know I'm doing a rural family elective way up north which is confirmed. My other elective time I hope to spend in Obstetrics, ER and dermatology. A fellow blogger suggested that derm would be a perfect elective for family medicine, and I really appreciate the suggestion as I hadn't really thought about it until then! My big dilemma is whether to do an ER elective that's family medicine based (part of the time is spent in the office) or one that is purely ER based.

I find it hard to make decisions so far in advance, but elective forms for some schools are due up to 12 months in advance and you really have to get on it if you want to get your first choice! And then, on top of that, is the huge amount of money in administration fees we have to pay other schools to process our applications. I wish there was some kind of reciprocal agreement between schools that this would be rolled into our tuition. Medical school is a giant money pit!

*** I've been asked for an explanation of this so here goes: Because at my school we only have one set of electives before CaRMS and they're in the second slot after block 1 of our clerkship you don't have lot of experience before you go out and try to impress people. If, say, you got family medicine in block 4 you could put your family medicine in the electives time and electives in block 4, meaning that you would have much more time to get experience (blocks 1-3 + family) before you went on electives and thus would seem a lot smarter. In addition, some electives require you to have done your core rotation in that subject before you can do an elective in it. By doing the family switch you can get in more core blocks, meaning that you can complete your core prerequisite more easily.

But, only a set amount of people can have family medicine in each block. People who want to do the switch really want to have family medicine in blocks 3 or 4. We get to put in a request sheet for our top 5 subjects and which block we want our number 1 subject to go in. So, if say 50% of my class wants family in block 3, and they submit request slips saying family is their top choice and they want it in block3, it is likely that trying to accommodate all of those people will fill up a lot of the family spots in early blocks because if they don't get it in block 3, the algorithm is likely to give them family in other blocks around the same time, i.e. block 4 or 5. To make a long story short, this makes it hard to get a family medicine rotation in a top block. Especially since I wanted to rank Obs/gyn as my number 1 block in order to get a prerequisite for electives. I know it's all complicated and this probably doesn't make sense to a lot of people!

11 comments:

XE said...

"one can switch their family medicine block with electives, meaning that everyone in the class put family medicine in their top 5 rotations."

Ummm... sorry, you're going to have to explain this one to me... I just don't get it. If they can switch their family medicine block for electives, then wouldn't family medicine rotations be easier to get into because those who aren't interested in FM would take electives instead? *confused*

Nathan said...

My two cents, about ER, is to go to the busiest, most inner-city, Friday night knife and gun club ER you can find. You'll never get experience like that again, and if you see the worst, the not so bad is easier to handle. I really regret going to a community hospital for my ER rotation.

medstudentitis said...

Thanks for the advice Nathan!

Xavier, because we only have one set of electives before CaRMS and they're in the second slot after block 1 of our clerkship you don't have lot of experience before you go out and try to impress people. If, say, you got family medicine in block 4 you could put your family medicine in the electives time and electives in block 4, meaning that you would have much more time to get experience (blocks 1-3 + family) before you went on electives and thus would seem a lot smarter. In addition, some electives require you to have done your core rotation in that subject before you can do an elective in it. By doing the family switch you can get in more core blocks, meaning that you can complete your core prerequisite more easily.

Midwife with a Knife said...

It makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense to me is why doesn't your medical school arrange for you to complete your core rotations before you start applying to the match? That's what we did, and although I'm an American grad, it seems like the CaRMS and the NRMP are fairly similar in terms of timescale, etc.

Also, regarding family practice, will you do your rotation before you interview? That might actually be as good as doing it before you apply.

medstudentitis said...

Unfortunately, our school has a screwed up clerkship that's shorter than every other school in the universe so we actually don't finish core blocks until the very end of clerkship. I have my family rotation very last, meaning that I won't have it done before interviews either. It's annoying.

Tiny Shrink said...

I would second what Nathan said above. Choose your electives for what you'll learn. OB, ER, and Derm are all excellent choices for a family practice physician, and could be fun as well.

In reality, I think the order of your clerkships is less important than how you do in them. You can also switch stuff around later, usually.

Don't worry, it'll all work out. Good luck in rotations!

The Angry Medic said...

Electives! Rotations! Actual...actual MEDICAL STUFF!

*seethes with jealousy*

XE said...

Hey Medstudentitis,
I was just wondering... do you know if doctors ever let undergrads shadow them for a few hours a week, or even just for a day or two?
I'm not really sure what channels to take to set this sort of thing up, and I thought you might know.
Any info you have would be much appreciated!
Xavier Emmanuelle

XE said...

I'm going to an orientation session for the Toronto General on Thursday, so hopefully I'll be able to volunteer there. Thanks for letting me know about the Women's College opportunity though -- I'll definitely look into it!

The Angry Medic said...

Oi you. *poke* update this thing, lazybones :)

And thanks for tagging me! I actually WILL respond, but after my exams in 2 weeks. I am one WEIRDASS dude though, so bring a vomit bucket. You have been warned.

Dr. J. said...

As an alum of your med-school, fully aquainted with the old fam. med switch-a-roo and a family doctor, lert me reassure you.....YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOW AN INTEREST IN FAMILY MEDICINE. If you want to be a family doctor you will have the rest of your life to do family medicine. Sure you may want to do one elective other than your rotation just to guage your real interest, but do not spend all your time doing fam med electives.....do electives that broaden your knowledge or take you away to far flung and interesting places. That will do more to make you a great family doctor than a bunch of electives in family.
Family is not competitive in Canada, no matter what anyone has told you. When you interview for programs you will be interviewing them, deciding if they meet your educational requirements. You do not need to show your interest, to impress these folks.....showing up for the interview shows your interest...
Electives are fun, so have fun!! It will all turn out fine :o)
Dr. J.