Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ok so, I've been away at the cottage for the long weekend and now I'm visiting with my sister and shadowing a family doc for the next 2 weeks who's a friend of my sister's. I love this doctor, I wish she was mine. She's so funny and good natured and loves her patients - you can tell. she just glows and is so good humored even with the ones that are trying. People trust her and she cherishes that trust. The past 2 days I've seen her do a lot of counseling and dealing with mental health and that's really an aspect of family practice I'd never been exposed to before. It's pretty cool. She does a few 1/2 hour talks with patients each week and has some people who really depend on her for support. I already know I want to do family medicine, I just want to figure out which parts of it I like and which not, etc. You know, I thought I'd never like office work but these past two days have been really enlightening. I really like being in the office with this doctor and her colleagues. If my office can be like this, I think I could really enjoy it!

Today we did a half day so here I am sitting on the couch. I'm going to take a nap then go to the gym. My nephew woke me up at 5 this morning with an outburst from bed - but I still love the little guy! Yesterday I made dinner for my sister's fam and today i'm going to do some cleaning to try and help her out. Life is busy with a 2 year old!

3 comments:

XE said...

Wow, your fam med experience sounds great. Those patients sound very lucky to have such a caring PCP.
Thanks for the blogroll!!

Calavera said...

Hold on, is your 'family medicine' then equivalent to our General Practitioner?

medstudentitis said...

Yep Cal, same thing I think but we actually have a special residency for Family medicine that's a 2 year program after med school.