Wednesday, May 30, 2007


I've been having a great time these 2 weeks shadowing a family doc. I can't say how great this place is enough times. I got to irrigate someone's earwax yesterday with a giant metal syringe - so much came out. It was GREAT. You wouldn't think that earwax would be so fun, but putting a giant metal plunger thing in someone's ear - fantastic! It was very satisfying.

It's good this week because I'm seeing patients I saw last week for follow-up appointments. It's nice to see familiar faces and to know a bit about people and their progress. For the most part people have been very supportive and many people have asked about which stage of the game I'm at, which school I go to, and how I like the town we're in.

I'm planning a nice surprise for the nurses and other staff on Friday. I'm going to make them some chocolate dipped strawberries and other fruits and bring them some tea and tea cups because everyone was so keen to make me tea every day.

I think the doc is starting to like me because she invited me to play in a golf tournament with her and my sister and a bunch of their friends. I hope that one day I can go back to her practice and visit or do a bit of clerkship there or something. She's just awesome. It feels good to finally have a mentor in family medicine besides my academic mentors.

1 comment:

XE said...

Awwww.... that's so nice!! Be careful about refrigerating the chocolate dipped strawberries if you're making them yourself though -- if you take them out of the fridge for too long between making them and serving them, then condensation forms on the chocolate and you'll end up with strawberries in watery chocolate soup. I discovered this the hard way :)
I'm so glad you've found a mentor -- I always find it amazingly helpful and inspiring to have someone to look up to.