Friday, June 01, 2007

Sisters



Today I left my sisters house and came home. I was really sad. My sister and I have grown closer as we have grown older and I really enjoy spending time with her. She was so nice to let me stay at her house for the past 2 weeks and to find me a doctor to shadow while I was in her city.

As I drove back to the highway I teared up a bit thinking that I wasn't going to see her for a little while. Even though I'm going to see her next weekend to go to the zoo, it's not the same as hanging out in the evenings watching TV and chatting about life or taking a walk with my nephew to see the construction site down the road and talking to my sister about our days. My grandmother once told me that being the youngest child was a curse because the rest of your family will die and leave you all alone. That stuck with me and is always in the back of my mind, making these moments with my siblings special and bittersweet at the same time. It seems morbid perhaps, but I just want the good times to go on forever and when they're over I always feel like I've lost something.

I'm looking forward to many such happy times with my sister in the future as I grow up and become an adult and our children grow up together (if I have any, otherwise, I watch her and my brother's children grow up together).

And then, half way home, my 'check engine' light came on in the car and that was the end of my relaxing drive. I hate cars, I wish I could just ride my bike everywhere but then I'd have to block off days for transit!

3 comments:

Ms-Ellisa said...

I know what you mean. I am an only child but my godmother's daughter and I practicly grew up together and are the same age (actualy she is 8months older). Now she is on Erasmus and we study in different cities and I really miss her.

XE said...

Yeah, I know! Seriously! The funny thing too is that this woman was definitely two or three sizes larger than I am. Grr...

XE said...

Now to actually comment on your post: I have a similar bittersweet situation. My baby sister is only 7, and I love to spend time with her. I'm at that time in my life now where I'm spending more and more time away from home; living on my own and all that. The thing that's so hard about it is that when I'm away from her I can't be part of those day-to-day moments that together make the fabric of growing up, an it's painful to know that I'm missing out on being a regular part of her childhood.