Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Environmental


Today I managed to take not 1 but 3 environmentally friendly modes of transportation on my way to work. 1) bike to the train station 2) train to the city 3) subway to work. I usually skip 3 and walk from the downtown station to work but today i was a bit late as it was my first biking day. If I walk and ride my bike then I think i'll get about 45 minutes of exercies per day which will almost compensate for the fact that I'm not getting to the gym right now as much as I would like.

I wouldn't call myself an environmentalist, but I would say I'm becoming more conscious of how what I do impacts the world around me. I want to leave as small a blemish as possible when I make my grand exit from this world. My new focus is food. I was walking into the train station this morning and there was a woman there handing out Quaker Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal bars. I decided to eat it when I got to the office because I was hungry... then I looked at the ingredients list. After the 4th ingredient there was hardly anything I recognized as real food. Niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, glycerine (isn't that soap?), invert sugar (did they turn in upside down?), BHA (it's got to be bad when they dont' even spell out the acronym), and the list goes on. It's not just instant oatmeal bars that are filled with additives and preservatives, it's all of the prepared foods in our lives. So, I'm going to make an effort to only eat things that I recognize as coming from a field or a tree. I made a giant lasagna last night from the recipe on recipezaar that Milk and 2 Sugars highlighted. It took me a long time and lots of dishes, but now I have a wholesome lunch. I haven't tasted it yet (it could be awful and I have LOTS of it) so I'm crossing my fingers that it's tasty!

I wish there was a farmers market in my area that I could get fresh local produce from, but I don't think there is :(

1 comment:

Milk and Two Sugars said...

I so hope that you liked it. All credit to Audaci, though - she's the 'Bel' who wrote the recipe.