Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The other night I lay in bed listening to the stomach acid sizzle in the back of my throat and had to sit up for a while before I could lie down again and go to sleep. As this was happening I could hear my ENT prof's voice in my head "most people who come in to see me with damaged vocal chords due to GERD have had symptoms for years and just did nothing about it". Last month I started to get a globus sensation in my throat which, like any good med student with medstudentitis, got me worried about Barrett's esophagus. Yesterday I was at the doctor and she gave me 3 weeks worth of Pariet along with my tetanus shot (unrelated, but boy does my arm feel like hell). Hopefully that will clear it up.

I'm going to lay off a few choice items for the next little while too: wine (limit to one glass with food), carbonated beverages (eliminate), orange juice (eliminate) - I find that these usually bring on my bad bouts of heartburn.

My father and I have very odd digestive tracts and he can't drink beer - hopefully that doesn't happen to me!

6 comments:

XE said...

Hope you feel better!
I know what you mean about the tetanus shot --- with other vaccines I'll have a bit of a sore arm for a day or two, but the with the dTap my deltoid killed for 2 weeks!

Milk and Two Sugars said...

I am learning that what runs in the family stays in the family. Glad you're looking at doing something about this. :)

Polly said...

Hope you feel better soon! I especially hope that you don't have to give up wine or beer.. that would be far too sad for words! :D

XE said...

Yeah, I'm definitely still open to other specialties, so it would be entirely truthful to say that I want to do my rotations first before I pick one for sure. Sports medicine sure seems cool though, and I'm particularly enthused about the program that has "Dance Medicine" as a rotation. My secret ambition is to be the company physician for the National Ballet, so it sounds pretty freakin' cool! :) :)

XE said...

Wow --- that's cool. A hockey team could definitely provide some interesting challenges. PM&R sounds interesting, but I've found that most of the cool sports med fellowships want you to do a family medicine residency first rather than a PM&R residency.

Sheena said...

There was one time when I was convinced I had angina, never mind I was only 21.

'course, goes without saying I was studying cardiovascular system at the time.