Monday, June 11, 2007


Last night when I packed my lunch for today I had an urge to put a beer in my lunch bag instead of the usual orange soda... I'm not a big drinker but this got me wondering why. I think it's because I find this job both boring and stressful. I'm bored but at the same time know I have lots to do and should be getting on with things. I just have a hard time getting going. Plus, it's a really nice hot day outside, one that would go perfectly with a beer. Thirdly, it's summer, perhaps I feel like I should be outside drinking beer instead of working.

In other news, the zoo this weekend was very fun indeed. Although, my nephew was more interested in the dump truck he brought along and the bridges and tunnels at the zoo than the animals. He's a civil engineer in the making!

Ben and I had an interesting silly argument about flatulence and jack rabbits also. Let's see what you think:

If a jack-rabbit were following you around just on your heels and you farted the most deadly toot known to man (enough to stun and jack rabbit) and then sat down would:
a) the jack rabbit be so stunned you would sit on him and suffocate him and he would die
or
b) hear the fart before he was overwhelmed by the smell and make a timely escape from the vicinity of your bum and survive to see another day?
I argue b) because I contend that the speed of farts is slower than the speed of sound. Fart smell has to diffuse from the bum hole region through the air to the jackrabbit and the sound just has to travel as a wave through the existing particles of air. This is the same principal at work when someone on the subway makes a stinky sound and then it takes a few seconds for everyone around them to groan due to the stink attack.

You may thing this a silly argument, and I agree, but I'd still like to hear your opinion on the matter.

5 comments:

XE said...

I was going to say a), but your argument for b) makes sense too. Still, I'm not sure that a jack-rabbit would be intelligent enough to correlate the sound with the impending smell, so I'm going to stick with a).

Midwife with a Knife said...

I have to say, I think you're right with b. Sound travels faster than farts. *giggle*

XE said...

Really? What time were you there? I was working :)
Oh yes, because the jeans are normally 39.50 but we had the $10 off denim sale today, didn't we?

Anonymous said...

Just to introduce myself first, I'm a chem eng in Alberta and I stumbled on your blog when I was looking for information about engineers going into medicine.

I thought I would just add a comment on your jack rabbit conversation since my hubby and I have had similar discussions. I agree with you on option a) if the fart is a loud one, since sound always travels faster than farts. That said, if you released an SBD (silent but deadly), then it's likely that the jack rabbit would be stunned before he knew what was happening to him and therefore crushed.

Amy said...

See B and I have an imaginary bunny who gets blamed for all farts in the house. I'd say b too then since bunnies clearly know how to associate sound with smell. Or at least in our house where they also associate it with getting in trouble. So it would run to avoid the blame.